1.4.5 Constituting the Committee
1. When constituting the Panel to hear an appeal, no more than two members may come from the same Faculty.
2. No GFC AAC member will be called upon to hear an appeal if the member is from the same Faculty as the Appellant or Respondent.
3. If all Faculty members from the Panel of Faculty Members are unable to serve, the Appeals Coordinator may complete a Panel by selecting, in rotation, first from the GFC AAC Panel of Chairs, and then from the UAB Panel of Chairs.
4. If all Student members from the Panel of Students are unable to serve, the Appeals Coordinator may complete a particular Panel by selecting, in rotation, either one full-time undergraduate Student or one full-time graduate Student, from the UAB Panel of Students. (See Section 18.104.22.168)
5. For the purpose of selection and service on the GFC AAC, graduate Students are considered to be from the Faculty where they receive supervision. Students who are in any joint graduate/undergraduate degree program (eg, the joint MBA/LLB program) are considered to be graduate Students for the purpose of service and selection on the GFC AAC. Students in any joint degree program will not be called upon to hear appeals which arise from any of the Faculties involved in the joint program.
6. For each appeal, every attempt will be made to have a reserve member from each membership category, including the category of Chair, prepared in advance to attend the hearing.
(This shall be interpreted to mean that a member who is unable to attend may be replaced by a member from the same category as the absent member.)
7. The Appeals Coordinator may select, in rotation, for each appeal hearing, a reserve member from the GFC AAC Panel of Chairs who may be used to replace either the Chair or the Faculty member. Should the list be exhausted, a Faculty member from the UAB Panel of Chairs may be selected.
8. GFC AAC members will be asked in advance of a hearing to declare any possible bias. If a GFC AAC member declares such a bias, a member from the same category will be selected in rotation from the membership list, which both parties were given an opportunity to challenge.
9. No GFC AAC member will be called upon to hear an appeal if the Provost and Vice-President (Academic) (or delegate) is aware of any reason why a particular member is unable to effectively serve on a hearing panel.